Pages

Saturday 14 March 2015

Beauty Review - Five Affordable 'Drugstore' Foundations


It can be a little overwhelming to know where to start when choosing a new foundation. There are so many available now that a trip to the high street can leave you with a choice between ten or twenty different brands before you even start to think about type of foundation or shade. The good thing about having so many affordable foundations on the market is that you can get really good quality for not a lot of money. 

I been keeping track of the different affordable foundations I've tried recently and here is a review of the most recent five. Apologies in advance for the messy bottles, for some reason I just can't keep them clean!

1) L'oreal Paris - True Match Foundation 


My Shade D1W1 Golden Ivory
RRP £9.99
SPF 17

What They Say

 L’Oréal Laboratories have developed a unique palette of 23 skin-true shades in L'Oréal Paris True Match Foundation. The result for L'Oréal Paris True Match Foundation is a natural looking, skin-true colour without tide-marks and outstanding coverage without caking.
What I Say

It cakes...... I really wanted to love this foundation because it has been compared to Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk which is great but I was really disappointed. I picked up golden ivory as I always tend to get the lightest or second lightest shade in the range as I have relatively fair skin however the colour is really light and I probably should have gone darker. With a range of colour which is so diffferent to, and much larger than every other foundation on the market it's difficult to know exactly which to pick up. There are only so many testers you can try on in store! 

I also didn't find the finish particularly great. This has a medium to full coverage which is good but it seems quite a chalky consistency to me and is very streaky and noticeable on the skin. I ended up blending this foundation with a darker one I have to use it up. I know a lot of people love this foundation though so I'm tempted to try it again in a darker shade. 

Rating - 6/10

2) Maybelline New York - Dream Satin Liquid

My Shade 10 Ivory
RRP £7.99
SPF None

What They Say

Air-whipped liquid provides perfecting coverage for 100% poreless skin

What I Say

This foundation is what I would call "cheap and cheerful". It has a light to medium coverage, is moisturising and blends effortlessly. It isn't suitable if you are trying to cover acne or scarring and it does eventually wear off towards the end of the day but it gives a really nice light coverage to skin which when teamed with a concealer is enough for me for every day use. 

Rating - 8/10

3) Maybelline New York - SuperStay Better Skin Foundation


My Shade 10 Ivory
RRP £8.99
SPF 20

What They Say

Better Skin reduces the appearance of the visible effects of stress including bumps, dullness and redness.

What I Say 

This is a medium to full coverage foundation. It is quite thick and therefore needs a little more work to ensure it is completely blended. Despite being the same shade as the Dream Satin Liquid from Maybelline (10 Ivory) it is a little darker so it's worth testing it out instead of just opting for your usual shade. This foundation has a really good staying power and can easily go a full day without wearing significantly. One word of warning would be that as it is for normal skin, if you do have dry skin you will need to moisturise well before using or it could cling to drier areas. 

Rating - 8/10

4) Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation

My Shade 103 True Ivory
RRP £8.99
SPF 15

What They Say

Instantly reawakens skin with a healthy, radiant glow and minimizes premature skin ageing. A light, smooth texture for natural, 100% poreless coverage instantly eliminates signs of tiredness and lifts skin from fatigue. Radiance pearls illuminate for a healthy, radiant glow. Flawless natural finish.
What I Say 

This is a medium coverage foundation so you will need to add concealer for any blemishes or red areas. It also has some shimmer which I think you either love or hate. I don't find the shimmer in this foundation too over the top and I think it just adds a little extra 'glow'. I find this foundation moistuirsing so it is really easy to apply and blend, even with a brush. It is a nice colour match for my skin tone and isn't cakey. It has a really nice fragrance and I love how the solid colour bottle top hides all the smears of foundation so it stays looking presentable! It does require a few touch ups by the end of the day but overall I love this foundation and have repurchased three or four times now.

Rating - 9/10

5) Revlon Photoready Airbrush Effect Foundation

My Shade 002 Vanilla
RRP £12.99
SPF 20

What They Say

The iconic PhotoReady Airbrush Effect Makeup has new and improved pigment technology that provides a flawless, airbrushed appearance in any light. Based on consumer feedback the formula has been improved to give a beautiful radiant flow without being overly shimmery, providing complete yet undetectable coverage.

What I Say

Unfortunately I didn't realise they had changed the formula on this foundation until after I had purchased it. It is the latest addition to my collection so I have only used it for a few weeks but my initial impression is that it blends well on initial application but is quite drying for my skin. That means that after a few hours it can cling in certain areas. It gives a medium coverage but does wear easily and I find myself having to reapply more often than with my other foundations. It is also shimmery, very shimmery. Overall a little bit of a disappointment. 

Rating - 6/10

Finally I thought it might be useful to do a colour comparison between all five foundations. These swatches are on the underside of my arm which is ghostly white but don't worry, these are all a much better match for the skin tone on my face! The best colour matches for me are probably the second and fifth which are Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid and Revlon Photoready. 

From left to right 1) L'oreal Paris - True Match Foundation, 2) Maybelline New York - Dream Satin Liquid, 3) Maybelline New York - SuperStay Better Skin Foundation, 4) Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation, 5) Revlon Photoready Airbrush Effect Foundation.

From bottom to top 1) L'oreal Paris - True Match Foundation, 2) Maybelline New York - Dream Satin Liquid, 3) Maybelline New York - SuperStay Better Skin Foundation, 4) Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation, 5) Revlon Photoready Airbrush Effect Foundation.

Overall quite a mixture, with some I will avoid and some I would definitely re-purchase. What are your thoughts? Let me know if there are any you would recommend I try next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com