Pages

Saturday 14 March 2015

DIY - Palm Tree Cushion Covers

DIY cushion covers spring home decor

As it is getting closer to spring I decided to change the decor in my room around a little. I spent a while (a.k.a hours when I should have been working ;-p) browsing home decor on Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/glasgowgg/) to see if I could find some inspiration. Over winter I had a grey and black theme and felt I wanted a brighter, lighter feel. As I currently rent a flat I don't have the ability to paint the walls or do any major home decoration so I have to rely on switching up furnishings to get the look I want.

I found some amazing mint, coral and grey colour scheme ideas on Pinterest and thought I would try to add some of that to my room. I luckily found a really cute bedding set from Primark along with some cushions but really wanted to re-use my grey cushions from my previous bedding set in some way as it would be a waste to throw them out. I decided to re-cover them and thought I would share the ridiculously simple way I did it. No sewing involved, woohoo! This is definitely a lazy girls guide.

What you need

A pillowcase (either buy or re-use an old one) in the colour/fabric of your choosing
Fabric glue (or a glue gun)
Scissors
Old cushion

DIY cushion covers spring home decor

Step 1

Put your cushion inside the pillow case and cut away any excess fabric. I was lucky that my cushions are the same height as a normal pillow so I only had to trim down one edge.

DIY cushion covers spring home decor

 If you are doing more than one cushion of the same size, take the cushion out and use the trimmed pillow case as a template for the rest.

DIY cushion covers spring home decor

Step 2 

Apply fabric glue or glue from a glue gun all along the top of one edge of the fabric.

DIY cushion covers spring home decor

Step 3

You now need to tuck the side without any glue in on itself, folding over the top few cm's to hide any rough edges. Carefully do the same with the side with the glue and stick both together. I find this is easiest to do if you start at one corner and work to the other side. Then just keep squeezing the sides together until the glue is beginning to dry. 

DIY cushion covers spring home decor

DIY cushion covers spring home decor

Once you have done that you should have your finished cushion. No one will ever suspect how easy it was to make!

DIY cushion covers spring home decor

DIY cushion covers spring home decor

DIY cushion covers spring home decor

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com