Pages

Sunday 15 February 2015

Black Bean Brownies

how to bake black bean cacao brownies Glasgow girls guide


So over the last few months I have been trying to be a little healthier. The new year came around and I decided 2015 was the year to make a few healthy changes. A little cliche perhaps but nonetheless I'm healthier, fitter and down a good few pounds. More on that in another post as my "get fit journey" could probably be a blog in itself!

This post is about brownies. Yes, yes, I know they aren't completely "healthy" but these brownies are made using black beans which makes them a little healthier than your traditional chocolate, sugar and dairy filled brownies. 


I've made these a few times now and I love them. Although I'm not vegan myself, these brownies are so they are great for taking to a party as they will be suitable for everyone. They are moist, chocolaty, fudgy and great for a little treat on a Sunday evening when you just need something!


The recipe was adapted from the http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-black-bean-brownies/ but I make a few changes to suit what I always have in my cupboard. 


Recipe



  • 1 can black beans, well rinsed and drained
  • 2tb spflaxseed mixed with 5 tbsp water
  • 3tbsp coconut oil, melted 
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder 
  • 1/4 cup cacao powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp caramel flavouring
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
  2. Grease a muffin tray. I used 1-cal spray for this and instead of a regular tin used a rose shaped mould to make the brownies a little prettier.
  3. Pulse flax seed and water a couple times in a food processor and then let rest for a few minutes.
  4. Add remaining ingredients and puree really well until smooth.
  5. Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tin
  6. Bake for 25 minutes 
  7. Remove from oven and let cool before removing from pan. 

Then enjoy! I have these with homemade banana ice cream (possible post on this later) and I think they are fantastic!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com