Pages

Saturday 28 February 2015

What I Eat - Weekend Edition


Another What I Eat post - I did say there would be a few of these appearing on the blog! This is a typical non-work day for me. I have more time to prepare food so I tend to eat slightly different things at the weekend than during the week when I'm rushing around.

Breakfast 

I made my go-to healthy pancakes for breakfast. The recipe is in my pancake day post but essentially it is banana, egg and cinnamon mixed and fried. I topped them with some almond butter and blueberries, yum!

Lunch

I made a green juice on this day for lunch as the pancakes had done a good job at filling me up. I guess it was actually a green smoothie. I don't have a juicer so I have to rely on my blender to make smoothies. The upside of this is that all the fibre remains in the smoothie and isn't filtered out which in theory makes you feel fuller for longer. The downside is that unless you blend really well you can end up with a really strange texture.

This juice had some apple, kiwi, spinach and banana. I know it looks really disgusting in the picture and I have to be honest and say it didn't taste quite right. It was still enjoyable but I think I may have gone a little overboard on the spinach. Once I work out the perfect "green smoothie" recipe I'll share it!


Dinner

One of my favourite alternatives to eating pasta or potatoes at dinner time is quinoa. I know it seems to be popping up everywhere at the moment and you're probable sick of hearing about it but once I tried it, I was converted. I cook it in a similar way to how I would cook couscous and usually pair it with mixed vegetables or meat. Quinoa also has some pretty great health benefits as it is a complete protein, containing all eight essential amino acids while still being gluten free. I do think quinoa needs a lot of flavour added, it's not something I enjoy eating by itself but paired with vegetables and spices it is a super yummy and filling dish.

For this meal I cooked quinoa until light and fluffy (it usually takes about half an hour) and then added beetroot. I fried some chicken, onion, pepper and mushroom with spices and garlic to add on top of the quinoa and then had some rocket, cucumber and pickled onion on the side. This was really tasty and I definitely went back for seconds!


Dessert was more dark chocolate, I might have a slight addiction! I tried I different one of the Tesco dark chocolates this time, the Sao Tome one. Not as good as the Peruvian version but it's still chocolate so I'm definitely not complaining too much!


Finally, I was a little hungry later on in the evening so finished the day with some greek yoghurt and dried cranberries, yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com